Sunday 28 December 2014

Hey Ho, Let's go... Dee Dee Ramone @ The Chelsea Hotel

So I ventured out to 5th Avenue this evening to get all my ' Christmas Window' pictures. I made a mistake! I went to see them all before the tourists descended on Manhattan for their Christmas shopping but didnt take photos. I know, yes I get it, I too am a tourist but you know how it goes! So thats on hold for just now.So instead I took myself of to to The Chelsea Hotel for the the Dee Dee Ramone exhibition.
The Chelsea hotel,  if you have never heard has been the home of some of the most famous poets, artist , musicians and writers. Arthur C Clarke wrote 2001: A space odyssey there, and one of my favorite writers Charles Bukowski was also  a resident. Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin and Madonna all lived there for a time. What the Chelsea Hotel is most famous for is the death of Nancy Spungen, girlfriend of Sid Vicious. Nancy Spurgen was found stabbed to death in room 100 of the Chelsea Hotel. 

Dee Dee Ramone - The Exhibition was amazing. I'm no an art critic. I am no critic of any sort. I am just me. Im rubbish at writing and grammar (Google is my best friend) so lets get that out of the way! I just like what I like! So anything I write is my view, you need to make up your own mind.
Anyway, I'm digressing! Back to the exhibition. One of my favorite pieces was about Sid Vicious called 'Horror Hospital' it was made of many little pictures that made up a story board.


I loved it. For many reasons it spoke to me. I like the craziness of the pictures, its kind of gives you an idea of how he was as a person. How his mind works. I definitely think as personally being diagnosed depressed (with suicidal thoughts) myself I can relate to the pictures. There is a lot going on, some things don't link or make sense and some times things repeat. This is how my own mind works. So it was refreshing to see this on canvas. It was his outlet. It inspired me. I haven't drawn or painted in years and now I think I may give it a try. I'm very keen on any type of therapy, I think this could be an outlet.
The colours and the words of his work here were for me just amazing. It may be seen to other people as simple art work, but I don't think you need to be Van Gough to make a point in what you are trying to portray on canvas. 










At the door when leaving there is a souvenir table, I bought a couple of pins and Dee Dee's book Chelsea Horror Hotel. I'm half way through and LOVING it. Ill get back to you once I'm done!


Dee Dee Ramone Exhibition
December 10th 2014 - January 1st 2015
The Hotel Chelsea Store Front Gallery
222 W 23rd Street (btw 7th & 8th Ave)


- Thanks Bear!

#Fashion #Vintage #Creative #MakeandDo #Vlogger #Travel #Style #Fun #Humorous #fblogger #fbloggers  #Edinburgh #EdinbugrhStyle #EdinburghVintage #London #LondonStyle #LondonVintage #NewYork #NewYorkStyle #NewYorkVintage #BrooklynStyle #ChelseaHotel #DeeDee #DeeDeeRamone #DeeDeeRamoneTheExhibition  #Ramones #SexPistols  #TheRamones #SidViscious #NancySpungen #SidandNancy  #Punk #Rock #Music #Exhibition #Gallery #Art #Expression #Depression 

No comments:

Post a Comment