Wednesday 11 March 2015

Vintage For Sale- How to Ebay




I always get asked for tips on how to sell on eBay as I have been selling vintage and new clothing on eBay for three years now. It started as I had way too many clothes. I used to be a buyer for a clothing store in London, so I got a lot of free clothing, plus I also like to shop a LOT and then I found my love of vintage. Kerblam!!!  Eventually my wardrobe was bursting at the seams; I didn't even know what I had!  Actually when I left my long term flat in London I had around 10+ suitcases of clothes and nearly 40 pairs of shoes! Enough was enough. So I decide to open an eBay account and sell what I didn't want. It was actually therapeutic and also difficult, it took a long time to get rid of it all as I held on to dresses that where far too small for me on the hope that I would eventually  fit into them! Never going to happen! I finally got there! Now I make sure with every purchase I put into my wardrobe an old item comes out and gets sold. It can be hard, and sometimes I conveniently forget to take an old item out!
So it was a rather laborious journey of ‘how to’ with eBay, it was a long learning process that I'm still constantly learning from.
Here is what I learnt; I hope it helps any other new eBay sellers out there.
Are you an eBay seller? Do you have any tips on how to sell on eBay Vintage and new?

Photos- So to sell your item its good to have a decent camera, I use my phone so there is no need to go out and by a camera, just make sure it’s good enough to take a decent pic. The picture is what will lure your customer in first and foremost, so it has to be good!

Now I have a mannequin which you can buy for £27.95 plus free shipping on eBay.
I alternate between that and just laying the clothes flat and picturing.
Make sure you have ironed the clothes and when photographing take pictures of any fault there are with the garment. People understand vintage will sometimes be a little worn, but if you are honest and upfront straight away then there is going to be no fall back once the item is shipped to your customer.

Measurements- So with vintage sizes can change the 
perfect body has changed throughout the years! So measure everything, because you will only get questions about it if not. Chest, Hips, Waist, Shoulder to shoulder, Shoulder to waist, Shoulder to hem, hem, arm, cuff etc.

Title for listing- Now this is where people go wrong, OK let’s just say you want to sell a 70's Maxi dress. Writing 'amazing gorgeous 70's dress great for festivals can be worn for day or night' is not going to sell your dress, you have just wasted too many dead words. You have 80 characters to use (spaces included) so you need to make the most of this. Tag words are needed. Your title doesn't need to make sense as sentence, just get as many searchable words in there. So using our 70's Maxi dress as an example I would maybe write70's Maxi dress Vintage retro boho peasant festival hippie prairie UK(SIZE) - these are tag words that people will search and hopefully one will bring them to your item.

Postage- Make sure you are not charging the earth for postage, but also if its taking time out of your day, I used to have to post on my lunch break and this some time would take my whole break- then I would charge a little more. You can get a break down from the Post office of weights and prices. You can also print postage from home that attaches to you pay pal.

Payment-
 I take payment from 
Pay Pal and also credit card transfer anything else is a hassle.

Starting price and duration of listing - I always start my listing at 99p and list for 10 days. I also buy a lot on eBay and I'm always put off when a listing starts over £10, as you can see how many people are watching that item and if its a lot them I basically just don't bother to watch as I think I won’t get a bargain. Now if it starts 99p and I get into bidding then I don't mind when the bid gets high as I guess that's part of the rush with bidding. So I like to apply the same to my items for sale.


Posting- Make sure if you say 3 working days you keep with that time frame, if you are busy set a longer post date. This is the main thing that will give you bad feedback. Post when you are supposed to post.

Well that is my advice, if you have any questions feel free to ask away. I may have missed out a lot.

Tip- search the item you are selling and check the best match and highest bid item and try and replicate what this seller ha done, research is key!

If you set up an eBay account the best way to get your feedback and profile in the high score is to buy also and make payment quick.

Also search

Have fun with it.... Bear!

Oh and p.s here is a few things I have for sale on my eBay 
Bear and the Bunny all bidding starts at 99p











Dr Marten - UK8 
Mohair Vintage Cape - free size
Comme de Garcon Polka shirt - UK 12


Vinatge Check  Wool Swing Coat - UK14-16
Ralph Lauren Brogues - UK 8


#eBay #Vintage #vintageseller #eBayseller #Vintageclothing #vintage dress #Vintageblogger #RalphLauren #Cape #DM #DrMartens #Docs #CommedeGarcon #H&M #











No comments:

Post a Comment