Sunday 18 January 2015

A Vintage Goldmine

So the way I buy vintage is I guess the same way as a buyer  does for a store. I buy summer in winter and winter in summer. Don't get me wrong, I don't get it ALL, but its the best time to to grab a bargain. No one wants a winter coat in the summer, for a start its usually too hot to even think about trying on a coat or wool pants! Notice that fur coat that was $20 in summer hike up to $100 when it gets cold! The same goes for shorts and summer dresses etc, expect to see them in the bargain bins in summer. Check out whats coming up for the next season and plan ahead. 
My favorite place to shop in New York is The Salvation Army warehouse in Bedstuy, Brooklyn.  You will find the store tucked away down the beautifully bright Quincy street (Where Biggie Smalls grew up no less, but that's a story for another day!).
Please note the first door the shutter is always down and may look to newbies that the store is closed, but walk a few more steps down and find the  second door, climb the stairs to the second floor, this is where you will find the gold! They do everything, clothing shoes, accessories, crockery, furniture and electrics. 
So if you're  like me, go it alone. I can get mad crazy if someone finds an item I would have bought! I'm also pretty dedicated to looking through everything on the rails. People stash items they may want later in different place, I'm guilty of it myself. There's a Georgio Armani bubble coat hiding in there right now! 
There is only one mirror in the building with a rail at the side for unwanted items. I always check that rail first. Trash to others can mean treasure to you!
When looking through always keep an open mind. Flared trousers can be brought in to make slim pants, long skirts can be made shorter, arms can be shortened, etc, you get the idea. If your handy with a needle and thread or a sewing machine, great! If not, find a tailor you can trust with the vision of of what you want and stick with them.
So my latest trip was for me. I am working on my wardrobe right now and have gone back to black.


 



E.D Michaels by Melanie Drucker dress
$15 it nips in nicely at the waist and it has pockets- Love a skirt/dress with pockets. Its worn with a lacey camisole underneath ($2) and black wedged ankle boots $13. A whole outfit for $30! Not bad!!


Ralph Lauren shirt for $5
Jacket £15
(Shelter
High waist black wool pants 3
(UK Vintage Store)
Shoes (right) Kurt Geiger £25(sale)
Shoes (left)  Topshop  £20  (sale)
Necklace H&M $1
Belt Primark, Black/Leopard print reversible £4
This Leopard print collar and cuff shift I bought for $15 its stunning but unfortunately it is too big,so once I'm back home in Scotland and unpack my sewing machine I'll do a "How to" Video tutorial on adjustments.














So that's one of my favourite New York hot spots. I will be covering London and Edinburgh soon with more tips on how to find a vintage bargain!
Thanks for reading!
-Bear



#Fashion #Vintage #Creative #MakeandDo #Vlogger #Travel #Style #Fun #Humorous #fblogger #fbloggers  #Edinburgh #EdinbugrhStyle #EdinburghVintage #London #LondonStyle #LondonVintage #NewYork #NewYorkStyle #NewYorkVintage #BrooklynStyle #InternationalBlogger #Shopping #Shops #TopShop #H&M #KurtGeiger #
Salvation Army - http://satruck.org/search
Topshop - http://www.topshop.com/?geoip=home
Shelter - http://england.shelter.org.uk/shop/shops/shops_near_you
KurtGeiger - http://www.kurtgeiger.us/
H&M- http://www.hm.com/us/store-locator

No comments:

Post a Comment